Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Too Old for AG???

  1. #31
    Inactive Member kbrzez's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2006
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My mom loves playing with my American Girl dolls. She often comes over just to see what new dolls and items I have. My mom at first was like yours, but thankfully she has turned around. Good luck!

  2. #32
    Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2006
    Posts
    482
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi!

    I'm so sorry that your mom isn't more supportive of your doll collecting! I feel very fortunate that my parents have always been supportive (even if not really interested in) my doll collecting over the years.

    I agree that perhaps if you showed your mom this thread and all of the collective ages and posts from people older than yourself who are totally into AG and dolls in general, maybe it might help.

    I feel that doll collecting and AG in particular is just such a fun, wholesome hobby. Don't stop enjoying something you love because of your age.

    I'm in my mid-thirties and took my mom and Aunt to AGPNY this weekend and they both couldn't help but be interested in the historical dolls and accessories. In fact, I'm planning to buy my Aunt Josefina for Christmas because my Aunt is taking Spanish classes right now and really wanted Josefina but resisted temptation.

    Also, my Aunt told me that one of my great-cousins who is in her eighties is still collecting all kinds of dolls and that walking into her house is like entering a doll world. My best friend's husband's grandma died at age 92 and was an avid doll collector literally her entire life. So I'd say if ladies in those ages ranges are still enjoying dolls, you shouldn't feel the least bit too old!

    HTH! Katie

  3. #33
    Inactive Member pixterzoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 7th, 2006
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks everyone! My mom told me before she was afraid I'd bee made fun of. Right now I'm going to a small private school where everyone loves toys(some of them are a little young in the head.) Next year I will have to move to another school and I will once again be alone in my doll collecting! I love all of you! I feel like my mom might be a little scared of me being on this side. Though it is completly safe. My mom is just scared of any site since myspace was invented!

  4. #34
    Inactive Member AGMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2004
    Posts
    205
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm glad you and your mother were able to see each other's side. [img]smile.gif[/img] Your mother sounds as if she was trying to protect your heart, not wanting you to be teased. The good thing, there are probably many others (in public school) who like AGs too, and you just haven't met them yet.

    If it's any consolation, my DD (Elizabethlover101) attends a small, private school, but still, no one in her class is into AGs. She comes here too, for support. (She has her best friend about 5 hours away, whom she sees twice per year who's also an AG 'nut.')

    So, may your interest in AGs continue to grow! Good for you and your mom! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member pixterzoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 7th, 2006
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you AGMommy! Me and my mom are so very close, that's why her not approving of me still liking AG dolls is so important to me! Everyone knew I would turn out like this because I was madly in love with toys till age 11. Then when I hit 12 or so, all I could think about was dolls!!!! But my first AG doll, Samantha, whom I took everywhere with me, I got at age 9. Don't think I was revealing my age because none of those are my age. But back to the point, AG is so important to me and I just want my mom to understand that I can deal with my doll loving, even through my older age. I have always been a bit different. My grandma says I march to my own drum beat. So im glad to find a place where I fit in.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Aelindil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by dollsforadoll:
    Thanks everyone! My mom told me before she was afraid I'd bee made fun of. Right now I'm going to a small private school where everyone loves toys(some of them are a little young in the head.) Next year I will have to move to another school and I will once again be alone in my doll collecting! I love all of you! I feel like my mom might be a little scared of me being on this side. Though it is completly safe. My mom is just scared of any site since myspace was invented!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's any consolation, I'm soon (hopefully) going to have my first AG purchase shipped to me since I was in the 3rd grade. I'm a senior in college now, and I'm still living on-campus. Which means I get to carry Josefina around until I can get her to my dorm room. I'm a little apprehensive about the reactions I'll get too, but since I've been Ebaying My Little Ponies for over a year now, I'm not as worried as I could be. If you get any flak from classmates, just tell them that there's a 22-year old college student who thinks AG dolls are cool too!

  7. #37
    Inactive Member sparklyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    125
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Aelindil:
    If it's any consolation, I'm soon (hopefully) going to have my first AG purchase shipped to me since I was in the 3rd grade. I'm a senior in college now, and I'm still living on-campus. Which means I get to carry Josefina around until I can get her to my dorm room.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm a senior in college, too, and my roommates have yet to make any comments about the AG catalogue that comes in the mail. [img]wink.gif[/img] I am very apprehensive and sometimes (unfortunately) embarrassed to be very open about doll collecting, but life is too short to be ashamed of such innocent things that make us happy.

    Erin

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 01, 2006 11:33 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Aelindil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2006
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by sparklyyy:
    I'm a senior in college, too, and my roommates have yet to make any comments about the AG catalogue that comes in the mail. [img]wink.gif[/img] I am very apprehensive and sometimes (unfortunately) embarrassed to be very open about doll collecting, but life is too short to be ashamed of such innocent things that make us happy.

    Erin

    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ November 01, 2006 11:33 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree. Once my boyfriend of three years accepted the pony collection, he became a great resource! Now at every birthday and Christmas, he generally finds the perfect pony for me. Hopefully, he'll take the new doll well when she arrives.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member sparklyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    125
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Aelindil:
    I totally agree. Once my boyfriend of three years accepted the pony collection, he became a great resource! Now at every birthday and Christmas, he generally finds the perfect pony for me. Hopefully, he'll take the new doll well when she arrives.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now if only I had a boyfriend who could indulge me with dolls (or a boyfriend, period)! That'd be fantastic. Oh, and I also have a My Little Pony that one of my friends bought me for my 21st birthday (see? You never are too old!). I brush her hair when I have a lot of work to do and am stressed, hahaha.

    Erin

  10. #40
    Inactive Member MaraAlysha's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Fiance is extremely supportive of my doll collecting. Recently we went to NY and he spent hours helping me pick out things in American Girl Place NY. He's only asked me once why I love AG Dolls and I told about my childhood memories and he's totally understood ever since.

    Having someone very close to you understand and support your love of AG is a wonderful thing! I 100% understand why you'd like your Mom to be more supportive! Have you been able to talk to her about AG again? I really think once she sees how many of us on here are in our 20's plus, she may relax and try to support your love of AG more.

    (I also love My Little Pony! I don't have any new ones but I used to play with them when I was younger. They are so cute!)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •